Sunday, December 20, 2009

LD Debate Nov-Dec Topic

The last two months, also my first two months, of debate were successful. I entered two debate tournaments, one speech tournament, and a combination of both.

Resolved: Public Health Justifies Compulsory Immunization.

If you don't know what that means, it says that the government can force you to be vaccinated for the protection of public health. My Aff case had a value of Safety, as in we need to value safety, and a criterion of act utilitarianism (greatest good for greatest # of people). It said the most people would be safe under a compulsory system. My Neg had a value of society, and a criterion of progress. It basically stated that the compulsory immunizations would fail and be a step back in progress and hurt society. I also had a slippery slope argument, which is an argument that states that if you allow one right to be infringed, the government will use it as an example when they infringe other rights and eventually take over everyone's lives. Fun sounding, isn't it? It was a deontonomy argument, really (ends don't justify the means). Of course, that wasn't the main point of my argument. I agree with the Neg case in reality, because of deontonomy and slippery slope. My competitive speech was an expository speech on hypermobility or double jointedness.

My very first tournament on Oct 31 was a completely novice tournament. I thought I went 4-0, but I was so naive. I went 1-3, though I still disagree with those numbers.
My second was a speech and debate tournament. I went 3-2, (I think it should have been at least 4-1). In speech, I just figured out the environment of competitive speaking and stunk. I didn't place once.
My third debate tournament was the best. I went 3-1. The only reason I went 3-1 and not 4-0 was that someone pulled FAKE constitutional evidence against my REAL constitutional evidence. What's worse is they were a quarterfinalist, and if I had beaten them, I would have made it to quarters. One of the other quarterfinalists, I even beat at my second tournament! I could rant a long time about this, but I'll stop here.
I haven't covered one speech tournament. I did pretty well, but I barely didn't get an award. I got fourth and lost third by about three points. Oh, cruel world.

That's how debate has been going. I plan to dominate with the next topic:
Resolved: Economic sanctions ought not be used to achieve foreign policy objectives.
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment