Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Alternate Spellings

I think it has already been well established that English is a very unconventional and weird language. To reinforce this, I want to add some alternate spellings that have popped in my head recently.
1. Juice could be spelled g-o-o-s-e, with g from giraffe, oo from proper grammar, and s is s.
2. Nelenite, a random mineral I looked up, could be spelled p-n-e-l-e-k-n-i-g-h-t. Pn from Latin influences, ele, from it's quite boring without significant alternate spellings, kn from knot, and ight from any number of words, such as light or fight.
3. Fix would work spelled p-h-y-y-k-s. Ph makes an f noise, yy can make an i sound, like in Kashyyk, which is the first example I thought of, and ks because it sounds more or less the same as an x.
English is weird. You don't need to say much more than that.

1 comment: